What is Occupational Therapy (OT)?
- An “occupation” is any activity that you participate in (self-care, work, school, play, etc.).
- Occupational Therapy (OT) aims to improve participation in life’s activities, despite various limitations (physical, mental, social, cultural, or institutional)
- The origins of OT are in mental health, “healing stress and soothing the mind;” today, only a minority of Occupational Therapists (OTs) work in mental health
- OT is often grouped with physiotherapy (PT) due to similarities in training, treatment processes, and treatment settings; however, the OT approach to the person is holistic and eclectic; it does not fit neatly into the medical model of health
My Occupational Therapy (OT) Services:
My approach in working with adult clients is mindful, compassionate, and practical. I work alongside you to support change toward more functional, meaningful, and purposeful living. I offer a contemplative space for the joys and sorrows of living to be expressed. I have special interests in the effects of stress on a person: physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, and in mothers with postpartum issues.
Treatment modalities used include: mindfulness and/or sensory awareness activities, guided visualization, inner child & soul work, bodywork, acupressure and other energy medicine modalities, specific to your needs. I am a trauma informed and Internal Family Systems practitioner. Please visit my FAQ page for more details about a session.
My Therapeutic Approach involves:
- learning about what is important and meaningful to you
- listening to your unique story of how you came to be
- learning about your individual stress response system and how it communicates
- exploring stressful imprints that are stored in your brain, body, mind and spirit and how these impact your day to day functioning in the present
- facilitating recovery and healing from the stress of past or present experiences
- practicing new ways to be calm and focused, in present time
- discovering ways to engage in daily life activities with more function, purpose and ease
My Clients are Individuals who:
- are wishing to gain clarity, experience relief, and restore balance in their lives Check your work-life balance here
- are seeking new ways of recovery from childhood and developmental stress and trauma
- are struggling with stress-related symptoms such as chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, pain, and other “mysterious” symptoms that have been resistant to conventional treatments Check your stress score here
- are struggling with anxiety, depression or other mental health issues Check your mental health here
- want to learn to be more mindful, conscious, and intentional in their everyday lives
My clients are Parents-to-be, Parents & Families who:
- want to learn how to support mental health from conception onward
- experienced a difficult pregnancy or birth that did not unfold as planned or expected, or having post-partum issues
- are seeking new ways to connect with their child’s mind and heart
- are seeking a fresh approach to parenting highly sensitive, spirited and gifted children
- are seeking a new approach to more mindful, peaceful and compassionate living